1996-05-03 - Re: EET on PGP API Quash

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2fb3aefdd073347e12ae8d95f3ce3747d041176a497f680a9e18ac48edc4f77d
Message ID: <m0uFA0c-00094iC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 18:41:32 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 18:41:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: EET on PGP API Quash

At 02:22 PM 5/2/96 -0700, Martin Minow wrote:
>>   ... the State Department is taking
>>   an increasingly hard line on PGP. Where once the State had
>>   restricted itself to warning developers against exporting
>>   source code with PGP file-encryption routines, it is now
>>   arguing that application programming interfaces (API)
>>   allowing PGP program insertion should be subject to control
>>   under arms-trading statutes.
>
>It would seem that any computer system that permits the use
>of an externally-supplied computer program (i.e., Windows,
>DOS, MacOS, Unix, Java, Microsoft Word macro languange) would
>fall under this restriction.
>
>I wonder how much thought went into this decision.

Not much.

I seem to recall a quote from Dorothy Denning a couple of months ago where
she actually held out API's as a way to get around the ITAR restrictions.
It sounds to me like even that was too much for them!

In any case, this position is very desperate.  Those of us who recall old
Altair computers remember a time where even a "file" was a foreign concept.
Files are, arguably, a standardized format on which encryption programs
work.  Are they going to stop the export of MSDOS?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.comJim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread