1996-05-09 - Internet/Obscenity Legal Gathering in NYC

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3a95000281c5445569907334ed192be875c9eb7fef416b37c2987b341ec0247e
Message ID: <aDZmND88w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:58:23 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:58:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Internet/Obscenity Legal Gathering in NYC

I haven't seen this announcement reposted to this mailing list, and I think
it's of sufficient interest to warrant reposting:

Newsgroups: misc.legal,alt.censorship,misc.legal.moderated,talk.politics,alt.privacy
From: ra@panix.com (Ron Abramson)
Subject: Free program on net censorship in NYC
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 17:49:08 GMT

Announcement: Free Program On Net Censorship
in New York City, May 22 at 7:30 P.M.

THE FIRST AMENDMENT IN CYBERSPACE:  Regulating the On-Line
Dissemination of "Indecent Material"

This program will address the issue of the First Amendment as
applied to the Internet and On-line services.  Special focus
will be given to the new federal law which is intended to
regulate the dissemination of "Indecent Material" via these
mediums.

The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
42 W 44TH Street, New York, New York (Bet. 5th and 6th Avenues)
(212) 382-6600

Wednesday, May 22, 1996, 7:30 till 9 P.M.

Moderator:
CHARLES R. NESSON
Weld Professor of Law, Harvard law School

Panelists:
ROBERT FLORES
Senior Trial Attorney, Child Exploitation and Obscenity
Section, U.S. Department of Justice

MICHAEL GODWIN
General Counsel, Electronic Frontier Foundation

STEPHEN M. HEATON
General Counsel, Compuserve, Inc.

NORMAN REDLICH
Wachtell, Lipton Rosen & Katz, former Dean,
New York University School of Law

BRUCE TAYLOR
President and Chief Counsel, National Center for
Children and Families

Co-sponsored by:
Committee on Computer Law, Joseph P. Zammit, Chair
Committee on Lectures and Continuing Education,
  Normal L. Green, Chair

Members of the Association, their guests and all other
interested persons are invited to attend.

No fees or reservations are required.

---

Dr. Dimitri Vulis