1996-05-14 - Re: Accidental subscriber needs help off of list.

Header Data

From: “Michael H. Warfield” <mhw@wittsend.com>
To: don@cs.byu.edu
Message Hash: 832b1ceb2ab0ec5a2b85bc990c02b83ed74dd56e59e24e85e7082f26259ad79d
Message ID: <m0uJJOm-0000rfC@wittsend.com>
Reply To: <ML-2.2.832063139.1541.don@wero.cs.byu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-14 20:08:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 04:08:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 04:08:34 +0800
To: don@cs.byu.edu
Subject: Re: Accidental subscriber needs help off of list.

Don enscribed thusly:

> > >...and I was accidently placed on your Cyberpunk mailing

> Uh huh....

	"Accidentally" I would find hard to believe.  "Maliciously" is
much more likely.

> unless someone's got a web page that autosubscribes people (and if there
> is, please turn it off) I somehow doubt the accuracy of this description.

	I didn't catch the original message so maybe there is more to
the matter that what appear from the one line quote.  There is a problem
right now with jerks maliciously subscribing people to lists they've never
heard of.

	I'm associated with several lists over at iss.net and I don't
know how many times we've seen Newt Gingrich subcribed to all of our lists.
I don't think its and accident and I don't think Newt is really all that
interrested in everything we offer.  A very high percentage of our
unsubscribe requests include a message saying "How did I get on this list".

	I'm also seeing some indication that this may be extending to some
of the downstream remailers and exploders.  How would one get unsubscribed
from a list if they can't even determine where they're subscribed at?

	Many mailing lists are now requiring request confirmations before
they will add or remove someone's subscription.  We're still considering
it.  It may prove to be the only viable solution to deal with the plague.

> PS: does anyone know when nntp.hks.net will get cypherpunks working again?
> Noise like what I'm writing now is *much* easier to skip via nntp...

> Don

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com