1996-05-01 - Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: “Scruffies” vs. “Neats”)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 9afcac6e72d9d2a68a41ebee5a995e80a5f97b3cf4d4175d6f965ab14ffc6e24
Message ID: <199605010047.UAA15120@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <adabfd860b0210043451@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-01 06:39:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 14:39:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 14:39:34 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

Timothy C. May writes:
> Just as when you claimed Java applications can't do file i/o, and several
> people point out that you are wrong and that it is _applets_ that you must
> have been thinking of (and not even always for applets, by the way).
> Instead of admitting you were wrong, or misread the post, you just say
> "Same difference."

Yup. Same difference. I typed the wrong word when producing my
post. The context was using "safe java" for markets in CPU cycles. In
that context, yes indeed, "safe" Java programs, applets, or whatever
you want to call them that you get over the network and can "trust"
aren't supposed to be able to do file i/o. The whole point was that
Java doesn't provide the execution environments you need for CPU cycle
markets. Sometimes my statements are incorrect, but its very rare
indeed that I don't know what I was trying to say.

> I suggest you wait until you see what I have to say on this before jumping
> the gun by assuming you know what it is I'm going to say (or that someone
> saying "application" must have really meant to say "applet").

As I said (and you called me a smartass for saying -- how polite of
you, by the way) I could only reply to what you posted, not to what
you could have posted. There was no indication in your accidental
partial post that it was an accidental partial posting. I'm not a
psychic.

Perry

Thread