1996-05-27 - Re: WhoWhere Robot strikes again

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Stephan Somogyi <somogyi@digmedia.com>
Message Hash: 9daa01717e44a0eb92de98518ba98809e60f92cc3e288b2a63a0957e8039d522
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960526201400.10152C-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <v03006f00adccfdadcae2@[198.93.25.98]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-27 06:42:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 14:42:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 14:42:22 +0800
To: Stephan Somogyi <somogyi@digmedia.com>
Subject: Re: WhoWhere Robot strikes again

WhoWhere.com and ParsecWeb.com are being firewalled from all but a few
networks at stanford.edu, ucr.edu, and other places. This is a step I
recommend to others.

Unfortunately, I have more important things to worry about than fighting
off threats from some petty net-abusing scam, but I'd be glad to give the
reasons privately.

-rich

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Stephan Somogyi wrote:

> I now have a WhoWhere Robot hitting one of my web servers from
> orion.parsecweb.com and it is most assuredly not honoring the
> robots.txt file regarding directories to exclude. I also just looked in
> the bot registry again and the WhoWhere Robot remains unlisted.
>
> Needless to say, I'm denying accesses from parsecweb.com from here onward.
>
> Stephan

> Stephan Somogyi              Central Services              Digital Media

Thread