1996-05-18 - Re: Past one terabit/second on fiber

Header Data

From: brian dodds <jyacc!aspen!bdodds@uunet.uu.net>
To: jim bell <aspen!uunet!pacifier.com!jimbell@uunet.uu.net>
Message Hash: 9f41fd08bea9542b76017b554b16e140349777cc91ae5f8705eb467ac0ff3e30
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960516110550.16435B-100000@aspen>
Reply To: <199605152051.NAA21380@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-18 03:53:39 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 11:53:39 +0800

Raw message

From: brian dodds <jyacc!aspen!bdodds@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 11:53:39 +0800
To: jim bell <aspen!uunet!pacifier.com!jimbell@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: Past one terabit/second on fiber

On Wed, 15 May 1996, jim bell wrote:

> Reminds me of an old joke:  "This computer's so fast it does an infinite
> loop in 5 seconds!"

a friend of mine once said his 486 (when most of us were on 286's) was so
fast it would process commands before he typed them..

> >i notice they're still using the encyclopedia/second benchmark..
>
> It's an old habit, I suppose.  It's hard to explain "one trillion", at least
> to non-tech types.  A good modern replacement might be to say, "200 CDROM's
> per second", except that even today most people don't know how much storage
> a CDROM represents.  "16 million one-way phone calls" is also helpful as a
> benchmark.

well, maybe we should update this measure to meet the range like they did
with the bel.. since an encyclopedia per second (eps) is a useless
measure, maybe we should institute the mega-encyclopedia per second, or
`meps' which would be 1024x30volumes of text.. `this little number over
here'll do 30 meps!'..

				bri..

--bdodds@jyacc.com
brian dodds, systems administration, jyacc, inc. wellesley, ma
--617.431.7431x125
opinions expressed within are not necessarily my own or anyone elses..

Thread