1996-05-07 - Re: CryptoAnarchy: What’s wrong with this picture?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: ab0adef7b1a682324ca5dcf617b97e0ff34d26e72d8b4dc9238dc223c2f3d8d0
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.93.960506194310.16845A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <01I4DYNHXPW28Y583T@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-07 09:38:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:38:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 17:38:57 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: CryptoAnarchy: What's wrong with this picture?

> On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, jim bell wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >While strong cryptography is powerful, and secure communications
> >liberating, unplugging the phones would about cripple that 'weapon' for a
> >while.  Any group rebelling based only on high technology communication is
> >an extremely vulnerable group, both to widespread denial of service, and
> >more specific 'surgical' attacks.  (Motorola stock anyone?)

Watch your attributation, this is my quote.

> 	Wouldn't that partially depend on:
> 		A. the level of backups - packet radio as a backup for phones,
> for instance... a reason I've been forwarding the stuff on radio to here.
> 		B. the necessity to the government of keeping what else may
> depend on those phones - the economy - going.
> 	-Allen

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread