1996-05-14 - Re: Fingerprinting annoyance

Header Data

From: ethridge@onramp.net (Allen Ethridge)
To: llurch@networking.stanford.edu (Rich Graves)
Message Hash: aca120d275051e6735d5fcf76f0768d44f0f6a8692cf9b23a1600f949e62e01b
Message ID: <199605140009435096233@stemmons34.onramp.net>
Reply To: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960513172942.14881J-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-14 11:56:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:56:42 +0800

Raw message

From: ethridge@onramp.net (Allen Ethridge)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 19:56:42 +0800
To: llurch@networking.stanford.edu (Rich Graves)
Subject: Re: Fingerprinting annoyance

> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Senator Exon <remailer@2005.bart.nl> wrote:

> > in connection with a character and fitness report i have been
> > asked to supply a review board with a set of my fingerprints
> > i have never been fingerprinted before
> > i am not very keen on the idea now
> > of course refusing will attract suspicion

> Honorable Senator, if you wish to work for the government (or certain
> other orgs with a big impact on the public, or in certain highly sensitive
> posts, like armed security guard), then you simply have to put up with
> this. Especially if you're working for *my* government, or flying *my*
> airplane, or guarding *my* money, it's not in my interest to help you.

> So... don't work for the government. Work for yourself, or for someone who
> treats you like a grownup. Liberty ain't always free and easy.

I can't speak to the honorable senator Exon's situation, but my brother
is being required to provide his fingerprints to prove that he is fit to
be the legal guardian of his wife's daughter.  And it isn't his wife,
currently the sole legal guardian, who is questioning his fitness or
demanding his fingerprints.

And on another thread, if rights are simply restrictions on the
government and not attributes (inate, even) of the individual, then they
are meaningless.

--
if not me, then who?
mailto:ethridge@onramp.net