1996-05-23 - Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: /dev/null <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Message Hash: bf60af605dfa398142d3d194b47a35358c62185acb3c23e1f4312271037c0272
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960522110634.13930E-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <glckRlq00YUzM2Wv4o@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-23 00:32:47 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 08:32:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 08:32:47 +0800
To: /dev/null <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> The legislation being introduced at 10:30 am will restrict selling
> mailing lists with childrens' names and other identifying info on them,
> including email lists. Another attempt to regulate the net, or a good
> thing?

I'd have to see the bill, but I think it's a good general idea, provided
there's the caveats KNOWINGLY and WITHOUT THEIR [parent/guardian's]
KNOWLEDGE. As much as I hate direct marketers, I don't want them subject
to malicious and arbitrary prosecution because one address out of
thousands happens to belong to a kid.

On second thought, why are kids different than adults? Selling lists of
women? Gays? Kids aren't the only group subject to harassment.

> Supporting is Christian Coalition, Family Research Council, Enough is
> Enough!, Bruce "I wrote the CDA" Taylor's group, and EPIC.

They're not *always* wrong. Oh, EPIC too, eh?

-rich

Thread