1996-05-21 - Re: Toastmasters?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “Dr. Dimitri Vulis” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: f34ac8ee655cb7dd0de4271a52d9c4af07d1e5663d0d87caeb20d986d13b46a2
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.93.960520172826.3940D-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <DPH9ND2w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-21 08:20:38 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:20:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:20:38 +0800
To: "Dr. Dimitri Vulis" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Toastmasters?

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:

> Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 20 May 1996, Senator Exon wrote:
> >
> > > How do corporations work, in terms of liability?  If the cost of
> > > incorporating isn't forbidding, I would think a remailer operator might
> > > consider incorporating a company, and making the remailer a function of
> > > that company.  That way, any losses are restricted to the total value of
> > > the corporation; that is, nothing.  Any flaws?  There must be something
> > > wrong with it somewhere.
> >
> > All the corporate officers are public knowledge.
>
> You seem to be confused. If the corporation isn't publicly traded, why should
> any information other than the address for service of process be public?

Ask every state which has such reporting requirements (which is every
state in the union).

If you wanted to form an offshore corporation you'd have to form an
exempted one.

> > The corporate veil can pretty easily be perferated if there is a willful
> > attempt to avoid liability when conduct gets above a certain threshold.
> >
> > This would be pretty easy to show in the event the corporation never made
> > dime one and never intended to.
>
> What if the corporation intends to collect e-cash for operating the remailer?

That would clearly change the analysis.

> (Of course, one can still be sued...)
>
> ---
>
> Dr. Dimitri Vulis
> Brighton Beach Boardwalk BBS, Forest Hills, N.Y.: +1-718-261-2013, 14.4Kbps

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread