1996-05-26 - nCognito is Dead..

Header Data

From: Ben Holiday <ncognito@gate.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fdced01693efee2e7c64ccde47d7e7929aa15b3a321de53bdcaede3ca1fe2761
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.93.960525155235.39848B-100000@navajo.gate.net>
Reply To: <Pine.NEB.3.93.960525061231.6707C-100000@alpha.jpunix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-26 22:52:45 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:52:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Ben Holiday <ncognito@gate.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 06:52:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: nCognito is Dead..

Well I have been given my notice to terminate the remailers running at
this account. Make a note to remove ncognito from your type2.list, and
those running pingers, please remove nCognito as soon as its convenient.

Below i've quoted verbatim the request to shutdown that I received. PLEASE
note that there is no mention of FBI, NSA, or Co$. :)  The request is the
result of some errors that mix generated while I was makeing changes, that
resulted in the administration at gate.net noticing the remailer. Frankly,
I cant blame them given the current legal climate.

Although I would have liked to continute operating the remailers, I must
admit that I'll sleep better at night now that its gone.

BTW: Does anyone know of a few ISP's that accept cash and dont require
verification of your identity? :)

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 15:45:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: gli@gate.net
To: Ben Holiday <ncognito@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Problems with your mail mix program

Please note that CyberGate does not support remailer program so please stop
running it on gate.net immediately. Repeated violation will cause your login
privilege compromised. Your cooperation will be appreciated.

Gary Li
Systems Administrator
CyberGate, Inc.