1996-06-11 - Re: InfoWar and a.r.s

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 3fe7a631ff103585623cb55b0d7417fc1449b96f5a2208655381088078f18e18
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960611001504.26593C-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199606102213.PAA28725@netcom7.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-11 11:46:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:46:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:46:34 +0800
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: InfoWar and a.r.s

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> One question to ponder is whether the a.r.s war will perform the same role
> as the Spanish Civil War vs. WW2.  Will we see newsgroup war expand to
> other news groups?  I would think a few of the .culture.* groups could be
> candidates.

Already happened. That's why soc.genealogy.african went moderated a few
months ago. The people in soc.culture.jewish deal with it by posting a
killfile FAQ regularly. Looks like soc.culture.latin-american, which I
followed for academic reasons three years ago, just gave up, splitting into
country-specific groups that are moderated. Pity.

alt.slack beat them off because, well, they're so much smarter and funnier
than any troller. :-)

Some (supposedly) closed mailing lists are openly talking about a vertical
spam of alt.revisionism. Someone new to alt.revisionism might think it has
already happened, but in fact the group is eminently readable and productive
for both sides if you killfile just two people, and followups to their
articles (three if you count the current incarnation of Serdar Argic, who
should be in everyone's global killfile).

The general mood in news.groups is tilting towards at least robo-moderation
(posts handled by an automatic script that can have a twit filter). I think
it's a shame.

-rich

Thread