1996-06-15 - Re: Fuseable Links - no guarantees??

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: wxfield@shore.net (Warren)
Message Hash: 666fc69d87c4bc3d193f08ee718801b384f33422a288d02db5de8d3322cb62bd
Message ID: <199606151810.LAA25519@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 06:10:35 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 06:10:35 +0800
To: wxfield@shore.net (Warren)
Subject: Re: Fuseable Links - no guarantees??

At 01:46 PM 6/15/96 -0400, Warren wrote:
>Jim;
>
>        I was under the impression that a fuseable link was literally a
>piece of conductive material that you deliberatley 'blow-away' - In most
>cases, couldn't you simply 'tap into' the data side of the fuse, and
>download the info??

If it really is a "fusible link," that usually means a fuse, analogous to
the much larger kinds used for circuit protection.  There are also
"anti-fuses" which are high-resistance silicon links which on the
application of a relatively high voltage, become low-resistance.

However, besides this, there is the typical EPROM-type cell, which can be
programmed but not erased electrically.  (I'm ignoring cells like EEPROM
which are designed and constructed to be electrically erased.)  As long as
the chip contains most of its information in EPROM, that means that the chip
was fabbed with a EPROM-compatible process, so they'd be more likely to
include read-protection in EPROM as well.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread