1996-06-07 - Re: Electronic Signatures

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 70bc82f0d71345676780822112680816a0dff82a28f4fb140567ce90915df0a9
Message ID: <19960607141610.13186.qmail@ns.crynwr.com>
Reply To: <19960606185840.9230.qmail@ns.crynwr.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-07 19:52:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 03:52:37 +0800

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 03:52:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Electronic Signatures

Michael Froomkin writes:

 > >  > 	The law does not specify how an electronic document must be
 > >  > signed, but Barassi and others say it probably will mean coding the text
 > >  > and typed signature so they cannot be changed by anyone other than the
 > >  > writer.
 >
 > Before you get all hot under the collar, may I note that I've known
 > Barassi for more than a year, and he is very technically sophisticated.
 > Allow for some reporter-garble.   Barassi understands digital signatures
 > as well as you do.

I never said or even (should you be a telepath) thought that he
didn't.  Heck, I've PGP-signed documents which I've then had to FAX to
people.  :)  OCR is your friend, eh?

No, I was responding to the person who was distrustful of the law's
requirement for certified signatures.  DON'T WAIT FOR THE GUVMINT TO
CREATE A CERTIFYING AGENCY -- start your own and get some momentum.
Makes it much harder for them to claim that PGP won't work because
there's no central signature registry.  PGP doesn't require a central
registry, but then again it doesn't disallow it either.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | It's no mistake to err on
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the side of freedom.

Thread