1996-06-07 - Re: On the Hill: Child Porn “Morphing”

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: janimmo@ionet.net>
Message Hash: be3b6ee52d303ace19907cd3e88e6f84334dd0374eb16821ebc4aa23fefb0416
Message ID: <wlhvNja00YUz0xgNAP@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960605153106.26199C-100000@ion1.ionet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-07 15:05:59 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:05:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:05:59 +0800
To: janimmo@ionet.net>
Subject: Re: On the Hill: Child Porn "Morphing"

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 5-Jun-96 Re: On the Hill: Child
Porn.. by Jeffrey A Nimmo@ionet.ne
> I believe that like all porn, it's a reasonability issue. If a
> "reasonable" person would believe that the person depicted in the drawing
> or morph to be underage, that it's illegal. I'm not sure, but I'll bet
> Sternlight would have an opinion. Anyone care (dare) to ask?

Read the legislation. I have the text of S.1237 in front of me now.

Child pornography is any depiction, including electronic, where:

(A) the production of such visual depiction involves the use of a minor
engaging in sexually explicit conduct;

(B) such visual depiction is, or appears to be, of a minor engaging in
sexually explicit conduct;

(C) such visual depiction is advertised, promoted, presented, or
distributed in such a manner that conveys the impression that the
material is or contains a visual depiction of a minor engaging in
sexually explicit conduct.

Anyone who "knowingly receives or distributes" it in any way over state
lines "including by computer" will be fined and given a 5 to 15 year
vacation at Club Fed.

-Declan

Thread