1996-06-16 - Re: Cryptology and knot theory?

Header Data

From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: c12d1e2495e8cfe8a26b35936b8c9aab37aaf9c129683f920785706413f96e99
Message ID: <Pine.VUL.3.91.960616053537.28315A-100000@marvin.df.lth.se>
Reply To: <199606152350.TAA14182@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-16 09:32:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 17:32:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 17:32:34 +0800
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: Cryptology and knot theory?

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I would have my doubts about how interesting the direction could get,
> since knot theory is a dead area. The classification problem was fully
> solved, and after that things got boring...

Well...  I think the theory has become much more interesting after
the classification, because we know that our problem _can_ be solved,
and our only problem is to do it faster and to get a better understanding
for the subject (there are lots of conjectures which seems simple, but
whose state is unknown.)

I agree that it doesn't look good (since most of our invariants are NP-hard)
but the vassiliev invariants might be used to approximate the other
invariants... (I do not know what has been done in such approximation
theory the last couple of years.)

   /Krister

Thread