1996-06-05 - Re: Where are the cryptographers going to come from?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cdd1f53dee7aaebe3a125344f47d81ed7987baa1a23c18e1607eb5ee7bd3ac03
Message ID: <199606042100.OAA11210@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:07:15 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:07:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Where are the cryptographers going to come from?

At 03:22 PM 6/4/96 -0000, nelson@crynwr.com wrote:
> The NSA believes that they
>can and should discard any amount of benefits of crypto in exchange
>for avoiding any harm of crypto.  They are wrong.

I think the truth is even more revealing.  We can hypothesize that
allowing widespread use of good crypto has many advantages and just a few
disadvantages.  However, those disadvantages may almost all accrue to
government and its employees, and very few to ordinary citizens.   This
means that talking up the disadvantages of good encryption is doubly
fraudulent, because the audience they should be trying to convince (ordinary
folks) doesn't realize that the disadvantages generally don't apply to them.
 And of those few crimes against ordinary citizens where crypto might play a
role, that role will almost always be to PREVENT the crime rather than allow
it.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread