1996-06-26 - Re: Zimmermann’s Senate testimony

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Philip Zimmermann <cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Message Hash: d094fff0d0293df874466837268f4d38175493948a2fba4351aaaac1e8700c78
Message ID: <199606252212.PAA17199@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:01:18 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:01:18 +0800
To: Philip Zimmermann <cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Subject: Re: Zimmermann's Senate testimony

At 09:39 AM 6/25/96 -0700, Philip Zimmermann wrote:
>Testimony of Philip R. Zimmermann to
>the Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space
>of the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and
>Transportation  26 June 1996

>The government has a track record that does not inspire confidence
>that they will never abuse our civil liberties.  The FBI's
>COINTELPRO program targeted groups that opposed government
>policies.  They spied on the anti-war movement and the civil
>rights movement.  They wiretapped Martin Luther King's phone.
>Nixon had his enemies list.  And then there was the Watergate
>mess.  The War on Drugs has given America the world's largest per-
>capita incarceration rate in the world, a distinction formerly
>held by South Africa, before we surpassed them during the eighties
>even when apartheid was in full swing.  Recently, we've seen the
>images and sounds of the Rodney King beatings, Detective Mark
>Fuhrman's tapes boasting of police abuses, and the disturbing
>events of the Ruby Ridge case.  And now Congress and the Clinton
>administration seem intent on passing laws curtailing our civil
>liberties on the Internet.  At no time in the past century has
>public distrust of the government been so broadly distributed
>across the political spectrum, as it is today.
>
>The Clinton Administration seems to be attempting to deploy and
>entrench a communications infrastructure that would deny the
>citizenry the ability to protect its privacy.  This is unsettling
>because in a democracy, it is possible for bad people to
>occasionally get elected-- sometimes very bad people.  Normally, a
>well-functioning democracy has ways to remove these people from
>power.  But the wrong technology infrastructure could allow such a
>future government to watch every move anyone makes to oppose it.
>It could very well be the last government we ever elect.

Yes, the situation is bad, very bad.  And yes, I agree that a political
system has to have ways to remove bad people.  The odd thing is, some of the people
who say that are the same ones who get squeamish when a solution is suggested.

<sigh>

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread