1996-06-10 - Re: Anonymous computer contractors

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Message Hash: d3f6f591ff0de643408e7381dac4885c41b9e2c1df625f4433b9d05dc8df39e3
Message ID: <199606100240.TAA25079@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:11:59 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:11:59 +0800
To: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Subject: Re: Anonymous computer contractors

At 01:24 PM 6/9/96 -0500, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
>Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>[we were discussing jimbell's assassination clearinghouse - Igor]
>
>> > Maybe your hint really makes sense and after initial depopulation the
>> > citizens will use different, more considerate, ways of dealing with each
>> > other.
>>
>> I think it would take very few 'depopulation' incidents to improve manners.
>> Humans, like rats, are very good at learning from others' mistakes.
>
>Alright, but since quite a few people have quite a few present enemies,
>the depopulation may be severe enough.

I disagree.  While each of us may arguably have a number of enemies, if our
lists were compared I think most of those enemies can be located in a
relatively tiny group of people, most of whom exercise government authority.
 Eliminate them, and a relatively small number of criminals, and it'll be a
rather safe and pleasant society.

> The only hope is that the assassin market will become tight.

I think that the _need_ will drop long before the supply of potential
assassins will.  Resignations will occur, and criminals will straighten up quickly.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread