1996-07-20 - Bare fibers

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
Message Hash: 0e8d111d3c074b9c4a9aa5d1104c3116ed77d2cf400d1e39fd058a7e925830b9
Message ID: <199607200153.SAA18305@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:25:44 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:25:44 +0800
To: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Bare fibers

At 05:32 PM 7/18/96 -0700, Cerridwyn Llewyellyn wrote:

>>a (hidden) drive to your computer using a reasonably surreptious link that
>>is difficult to trace.  Say, an IR optical link, a single bare (unjacketed)
>>optical fiber, a LAN with hidden nodes, or a similar system.  Maybe an
>
>I find the idea of the optical fiber very interesting.  Is there such
>a beast currently available?  I really don't know anything about fiber,
>and therefore it would be very difficult for me to construct such a
>system myself...

Unjacketed fiber exists, but since its primary use is to build up jacketed
fibers and fiber bundles, it is rarely seen in industry outside of the
companies which normally use it.  But it is available.  The fiber is usually
coated with a very thin layer of clear plastic to protect against moisture
and abrasion, and the diameter  is around 0.5 to 1.0 millimeters in diameter.

Terminating fiber is specialized; it is cleaved using diamond tools, and is
usually polished after mounting in a holder.  These days, transmitters and
receivers are easily available.  For a relatively short run, plastic fibers
would probably be the best bet.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread