1996-07-05 - Re: Net and Terrorism.

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: vinnie moscaritolo <vinnie@webstuff.apple.com>
Message Hash: 3443e65e91300179bdd630d77a786c8c880481df58ca775f793de0eef1ab78ed
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.94.960705000230.16407F-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <v03007600ae0219ea71e0@[38.26.2.85]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-05 10:46:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 18:46:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 18:46:43 +0800
To: vinnie moscaritolo <vinnie@webstuff.apple.com>
Subject: Re: Net and Terrorism.

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, vinnie moscaritolo wrote:

> Sometimes I am astounded by the lack common sense that government officials
> display. Bill Klinton and his media budies (Ted Copulate etc) are the best
> recruiters for Militia groups, After the OKC bombing, his accusations of
> Militia involvement pissed off so many middle of the roaders that
> memberships showed a marked increase. Thanks to Sen Fineswine, Semi-Auto

Middle of the roaders? Some road. :-) I get your drift, and I'm behind you,
but I think you're deluding youurself if you think you're anywhere near the
mainstream. Most people aren't that intelligent.

Yeah, I'm sure some good people like we'all joined the militia, but I'm
worried about the losers and loons like the "Vipers Militia." When the
barely literate who can't hold a job at a donut shop are convinced that it's
*K00L* to play with guns and bombs and prepare to fight The New World Order,
we have a problem. Even the very few real Nazis (as opposed to everybody the
SWC thinks are Nazis) are worried about the proportion of unstable loons in
their midst. There are good people in that racket who don't want to see
people hurt; I'm happy to have made some friends.

Of course you're right, much of the blame for that problem lies with the
stoopid gubmint that lacks a proper regard for the Bill of Rights, not to
mention a Sense of Huumor. Absent the fearmongering, the Viperweenies would
have turned to something else antisocial, buut they wouldn't have had a
"movement" to cling to. (Or maybe they would have... in another era, they
would have joined up with the Weathermen or the Symbionese Liberation Army.)

Fortunately, and despite what, say, the SWC says in its fundraising
materials, the middle of the road among the militias isn't that kooky. Bo
Gritz and the leaders of the Michigan Militia were heard calling the Freemen
a bunch of lying scum; I've observed more mainstream (if that's the word)
militiafolk distancing themselves from the Viperweenies both online and on
shortwave.

> purchases had a record year in California. (does she have stock in
> Norinco?)

I'm sure it's a blind trust.

> There is no conspiricy on the governements part, just plain
> stupidity.

Absolutely, on both sides of that walnut.

> So my point is, the more the government inflates a non existant problem,
> the bigger the problem gets.

Government or whomever...

> >However, you will never be able to buy out  the religious terrorists
> > --they are on a "mission."
>
> I was always taught They have nothing left to lose..make em happy and send
> em to Allah (or whatever) as quickly as you can.

Since the two muslims who used to give a shit about this list seem to have
left in disgust, I suppose I should register my "That ain't representative
of Islam, any more than Pete Peters is representative of Christianity or
Lenin is representative of atheism." I think this falls under the category
of "the more you inflate a nonexistent problem, the bigger it gets." Yes
there is an unusually high proportion of loons in charge of movements that
call themselves Islamic Fundamentalist, but do you really think it's in your
interest to talk like, well, a bigot and turn the rest of the muslims
against you?

- -rich
 http://www.c2.org/~rich/

Thread