1996-07-22 - Re: NSA Lawyers Believe ITARs Would be Overturned if Tested in Court

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4a42fa691492e036513a71ee352434edd5ac3af6cac48a35f63ad212fd761b04
Message ID: <199607220431.VAA28441@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:42:14 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:42:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NSA Lawyers Believe ITARs Would be Overturned if Tested in Court

At 02:25 AM 7/22/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>(Not all of them, presumably. Shipment of hardware ("arms") would likely
>not be affected. But the ITARs that stop the spread of knowledge, published
>papers, and speech (such as speaking where a foreigner can hear!) would
>likely be overturned.)
>--Tim May

Which raises an interesting question:  Why aren't they (still) restricting
PC-type computers for export?  While it might not appear to make a great
deal of sense either, a PC is just as much a tool for encryption as the
software which runs on it.  And it's obvious that given the two scenarios
below:

1.  You have a $1000 computer and no (freebie) software yet.

or

2.  You have freebie software and no $1000 computer.

You're closer ($) to being able to do encryption with the former set of
equipment.  And, of course, nobody's under the illusion that the government
can keep the software bottled up, but they'd at least have a prayer keeping
most 486 and Pentium-based computers from being exported.

I don't mean to give the idiots any ideas, and it's too late anyway, but...

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread