1996-07-04 - Re: LE Risks with No Crypto

Header Data

From: “Paul S. Penrod” <furballs@netcom.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 531a6e1459da4492631560c89b1af37bee6d4182e3bf4b3a6fc7293e52b9421e
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9607031434.A15533-0100000@netcom>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960703002028.00ba3b24@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-04 03:01:39 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 11:01:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul S. Penrod" <furballs@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 11:01:39 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: LE Risks with No Crypto

I will presume for the moment that you actually support this position and
this is not a blatant troll.

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> Did anyone notice the fun little bit in the story of the bust of the Viper
> Militia in Arizona?
>
> The state employee that BATF sent to infiltrate the group almost "assumed
> room temperature" because an ally of the Militia working for AT&T pulled his
> long distance phone records.  The infiltrator was questioned rather closely
> about some of his phone calls to official numbers.  He managed to persuade
> them that he wasn't a Fed.
>
> Too bad AT&T doesn't use an encrypted open books system to store is records
> so that "bad guys" can't abuse those records and put our heroic law
> enforcement personnel at risk.
>
> This is a perfect illustration of the fact that technology puts the
> government most at risk because it will always be the juiciest target.
> "Worth the powder to blow it up with."
>
> DCF

I disagree completely with the premise that the government will always be
the juciest target. If you read Tim May's treatise about terrorism, he
makes a point that may never be openly discussed by the press as it makes
all too much sense. That point is simply that terrorism begins to blossom
against a government when  a section of the citizenry percieves that they
have been disenfranchised by that government and view no opportunity for
legal recourse to change the situation, and are not willing to live under
those rules.

The fact that AT&T may or may not use encryption on their records is
irrelevant. That BATF agent could have been the one to pull records
illegally instead. Now where is your point ? A government represented has
now abused position and priviledge to persue a purpose - right or wrong.

The US government is at risk because of the robber baron mentality of
many of the government officials, congressmen, representatives, and of
course BIll & Hillary. IMO They have purposefully abused position and
priveldge and lined their own pockets to their advantage - leaving many of
the citizenry wondering what is really going on. I am not a supporter of
the militia movement - however, they do represent a growing segment of the
population that feels disenfrachised and view violence against the visible
government establishment as a way to make their point.

There are others who view the government the same way as the militia, but
resort to trying to continue to work within the existing system to make
the changes they feel are necessary. In this venue encryption is not only
desirable but necessary as those in power are trying to consolidate their
position by trying to use information they can glean against those who
want to remove them from office or thwart their efforts to enact bad
legislation. RIchard Nixon was noted for his use of the IRS against
select folks. Now we have BIll Clinton and the 700+ personal files
collect for use against "enemies" of the administration.

My position is that crypto should be available to all - not just the
government or a priviledged few. Any technology man creates can be used
for good or evil. That will never change.

...Paul

Thread