1996-07-09 - Re: What remains to be done.

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
To: Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
Message Hash: 6d2c375141aa74ad6e616f03fb9e694b7a789e85dbab853dfabc0af90bf804a0
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960709115634.3387E-100000@dorsai>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960708205907.28245G-100000@redhat.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-09 21:53:26 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 05:53:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 05:53:26 +0800
To: Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: What remains to be done.

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>
> > I'm constantly switching between NT and 95 and have them installed on the
> > same drive.  Would be cool to have some low level driver to encryption
> > from the Master Boot Record for example to get around unfriendly OS's- but
> > then NT won't respect the BIOS calls, 95 in 32 bit mode won't, Linux sure
> > as hell wont, etc....
>
> Linux, however, does have the cfs (crypted filesystem), which will let you
> do the same thing. Supposedly lets you plug in your own encryption method
> and all that... Also allows different users to encrypt with different
> passwords, and such (or just the root user encrypt the whole partition).
> Find the web page for more info.

Not quite what I'm looking for I'm afraid.  What I want is a big
partition that's encrypted, but accessible from Windows NT, 95, and
Linux.  In other words, I need an encrypted drive device driver for all
of the above operating systems that's compatible across them.

So when I'm running NT, I can use the drive, when I'm running 95 I can
use the drive, when I'm running Linux I can use the drive.  Now linux has
a nice UMS which lets me access DOS drives.  If that were merged with -
say SecureDrive, and if SecureDrive were rewritten as a 32 bit VxD
minidriver for 95, and if there were a version of the same for NT, >THAT<
would be cool. :)

 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian |FL|       KAOS KERAUNOS KYBERNETOS      |==/|\==
  \|/  |sunder@dorsai.org|UL|__Nothing_is_true,_all_is_permitted!_|=/\|/\=
<--+-->| --------------- |CG|What part of 'Congress shall make no |=\/|\/=
  /|\  | Just Say "No" to|KA|law abridging the freedom of speech' |==\|/==
 + v + | Janet Reno & GAK|AK|        do you not understand?       |=======
 Key Escrow Laws are the mating calls of those who'd abuse your privacy!

Thread