1996-07-21 - Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Message Hash: c0affa1213d1429f9b7f40c86e3014204476747e4cffd07a85dd274626fb1763
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960721155821.22581B-100000@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Reply To: <v03007607ae1800d8c5b1@[192.187.162.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-21 22:35:25 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 06:35:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 06:35:25 +0800
To: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Subject: Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

[sorry Perry]

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, David Sternlight wrote:

> So is your comment. What was broken was not public key, but a particular
> key length (and by implication shorter ones). You can do that with just
> about any system, even a one-time pad, by brute force, but it won't buy you

Really? The only way I know of forcing a one-time pad is to use a hardware
QM-based random number generator to generate every possible decrypt, thus
creating a number of universes equal to the number of possible keys. Since
you can't tell if you're universe is the right one, one should always
verify the information obtained against a second source. IANAL, so I can't
say if such a decrypt would count as probably cause.

Simon

---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........

Thread