1996-08-09 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 05febdf0d23f0448947d8328f85597e448c5f9df48dfc06d96b941579e510463
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960809093040.0092e510@panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 19:52:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 19:52:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

At 12:26 AM 8/9/96 -0700, David Wagner wrote:

>I say, what we need is a little more abuse.  I say, a well-publicized
>incident of abuse of the driver's license database can do more to
>help the cause of privacy than any amount of intellectually compelling
>debate.  Perhaps one horrible incident of abuse would ignite enough
>public backlash to stop states from selling their databases at the
>drop of a hat.

The murder of the actress Rebecca Schaefer (sp?) by an obsessed fan (who
paid a private detective to get her address from the California DMV) did
cause California to somewhat restrict license and registration information.
I think they eased up though later.  I don't know who can get info there
these days.

This particular problem can be avoided privately by reporting a mail drop
rather than your real address to the state.

DCF

Thread