1996-08-09 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 6831dac75436d39035bd42c2b4b8a4bb498a5932679926999bdf8e18109fa151
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.95.960809163408.14975A-100000@netcom10>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960809093040.0092e510@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-09 20:35:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:35:05 +0800

Raw message

From: jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:35:05 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

	Duncan:

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> cause California to somewhat restrict license and registration information.
> I think they eased up though later.  I don't know who can get info there

	You have to register as a company with CA DMV.  Pay them an
	annual fee, and a per report pulled fee, and only pull
	records for a _legitimate business need._

	Addresses are only provided if a court case the target
	of the search is listed as being involved in.  Docket #
	must be listed -- which gives rise to some interesting
	problems.

> This particular problem can be avoided privately by reporting a mail drop
> rather than your real address to the state.

	Depends upon the state.   In some states it is a misdemeanor
	to list anything other than your physical address.  Others
	don't care what you list, so long as mail can be delivered
	there.

	More important is ensuring that all the addresses that the
	state has on you are the same.  The preference seems to be
	to have the same address as is on one's checks.

	What I've noted some people do, is give their physical address,
	and provide a mail address as well.  Then the individuals move,
	and omit to notify the state of the move.  When questioned about
	it, their usual response is something along the lines of "
	I get all of my mail at my mail box. I did not
	realize that I had to file a change of address form, with you.
	After
	all the address on my licence is the address where I get my
	mail.  [  In most states the mail address is the address listed
	when two addresses are provided. ] "

        xan

        jonathon
        grafolog@netcom.com