1996-08-09 - Re: driver license info, loss of liberty, etc.

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Pete Loshin <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1a4434d05daff27ec8d611e33f5ef8653b25012a8e68cb0a259878f9c7a58f58
Message ID: <199608090359.UAA29690@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:51:00 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:51:00 +0800
To: Pete Loshin <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: driver license info, loss of liberty, etc.

At 09:29 PM 8/8/96 -0400, Pete Loshin wrote:
>The furor over the Oregon DMV database seems a bit misplaced: this type of
>information is considered to be in the public domain.  You can buy it on
>tape/whatever for business purposes direct from the state.

Actually, in Oregon I don't think there is any restriction as to what purposes you ask
for the information.  I've never filled out such a request before
(preferring to get my data from a CDROM which tells no tales...) but as I
understand it there's no restriction.  (Other than legality?!?)

> There are lots
>of people who I don't want to have any information about me who can get
>what's on file down at the Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles.  That's the way
>it works.
>
>Now, there's lots of times when it would have been nice to have access to
>that information myself.  Use your imagination.  Why should the public be
>denied the right to access this information when businesses have had that
>privilege for some time?  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be
>taken away from businesses, either, though I suppose the states will now
>pass laws prohibiting the public dissemination of this data.

I've pointed out elsewhere that our goal should be the elimination of the
collection of this data by the state in the first place, an appropriately
radical idea.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread