1996-08-07 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 1f0e7af911ca36be45797b0e9ae9c1265fe1635bc03332d8e24920a44acaefd5
Message ID: <199608070259.TAA17424@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:00:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:00:56 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

At 07:37 PM 8/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Personally, I don't care. In fact, when employing gardeners and yard works
>I prefer Mexicans. But the law says, these days, that I must verify the
>legality of workers *if* they appear to be dark-skinned, Mexican, Latin, or
>the like. I say "if" because there are no requirements in general for
>white-skinned, Anglo workers....no work permits, no proofs of citizenship
>(such a document is currently lacking in the American pantheon...I, a mixed
>descendant of Mayflower colonist and Scandinavian immigrants, lack such
>"proof").

If you're _employing_ Anglos, you're currently required to disrespect their
honesty and demand proof that their papers are in order to fill out the I-9
form.
There's a list of "one from column A or one from columns B and C"
of acceptable papers, such as passports, birth certificates,
driver's licenses, US Military ID, etc., which the government uses
to determine whether they want to give you permission to hire them
and give them permission to work.  If you don't have these,
you can join the Army, and they'll give you some papers.
I hope you weren't Un-American enough to be born at home, though -
without that government-issued birth certificate, the Army
won't be able to verify your age.

None of that is really proof of citizenship - after all, you could
have renounced your US citizenship and become stateless or joined
a foreign government.  But President Buchanan's loyalty oath requirements
should take care of that, as well as help with the problem of all these
immigrant Brits and Irish and Canadians flooding our shores - I mean,
look around you, they're everywhere.  Y'all can't walk into a 7-11 these days
without some clerk speaking funny-soundin' English at you.

And the reason you can't legally just hire contractors and not have them
count as employees has a lot to do with Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ),
who made a lot of money running ADP, a computer-services bodyshop,
that wanted to preserve its advantages against more flexible competition.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!

Thread