1996-08-08 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: “Mark C. Henderson” <mch@squirrel.com>
To: Bill Stewart <tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 30f55c959b5f819c3e257d734006e22551f35826e10c5a5759b408b9b540f8b0
Message ID: <9608071707.TE12105@squirrel.com>
Reply To: <199608070259.TAA17424@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-08 05:39:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:39:24 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark C. Henderson" <mch@squirrel.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:39:24 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

On Aug 6, 19:59, Bill Stewart wrote:
> Subject: Re: Internal Passports
> At 07:37 PM 8/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
> If you're _employing_ Anglos, you're currently required to disrespect their
> honesty and demand proof that their papers are in order to fill out the I-9
> form.
> There's a list of "one from column A or one from columns B and C"
> of acceptable papers, such as passports, birth certificates,
> driver's licenses, US Military ID, etc., which the government uses
> None of that is really proof of citizenship - after all, you could
> have renounced your US citizenship and become stateless or joined
> a foreign government.

Driver's licence and social security card are currently enough.

Before 1989 (or so, I'm not sure about the cutoff) the SSA issued
unrestricted social security cards to people on temporary visas who
had authorization to work for some period (e.g. students on an F-1
visa could then work on campus - and the SSA would issue an ordinary
unrestricted social security card). After 1989, I understand, that social
security cards issued under these circumstances are marked "not
valid for employment without INS documentation" or something similar.

So, it is perfectly possible to have a social security card and a
driver's licence without having the right to work in the U.S. The I-9
documentation doesn't prove anything.

I note that California requires some sort of documentation (birth
cert, INS documentation etc.) for a new driver's licence. Don't know
about other states.

probably related story:
This might explain why in 1994 when I was travelling back home to
Vancouver B.C. from Europe via the states (cheap ticket), the U.S.
immigration officer asked me "Do you have a social security number?".
I said yes. She then asked "do you have your social security card
with you?" I didn't have it, and said so. She asked to see my ticket
on to Vancouver, and that was it. I thought it was weird at the time
as I'm used to various questions, and hearing one that I didn't
expect at least made the experience mildly interesting.

--
Mark Henderson -- mch@squirrel.com, henderso@netcom.com, markh@wimsey.bc.ca
ViaCrypt PGP Key Fingerprint: 21 F6 AF 2B 6A 8A 0B E1  A1 2A 2A 06 4A D5 92 46

Thread