1996-08-08 - Re: Wee Beasties on Mars

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8c3a553229c7bbf681f583e87431c07a2747b73e47fd699493b9dc0a6dfbae98
Message ID: <199608072246.PAA25637@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:49:56 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:49:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Wee Beasties on Mars

At 09:34 AM 8/7/96 -0700, Mike Duvos wrote:
>> schryver@radiks.net:
>
>> > NBC News at Sunrise has just announced the discovery of alien life on the
>> > planet Mars.  The lifeform that became extinct more than 2 billion years
>> > ago was found as a fossil in a meteor that originated from mars and landed
>> > on earth.  The fossil found was a primitive germ life form.
>
>NASA is holding a news conference today to discuss the find.  I must
>admit I am curious as to how they determined the meteor's origin.
>Most material in the solar system is similar in composition.

I've only seen a few vague news items on TV about this.  I believe they said
that gases in pores in the rock matched the constituents of the Martian
atmosphere.

Also, they said that the rock was a bit less than the size of a football,
and was found in Antarctica.  It's fairly "clean" there, at least from the
standpoint of organic contamination.  Also, while I've heard nothing of its
exact physical location, if it is in the middle of a large ice sheet that
pretty much excludes terrestrial origin, because there is a limit to how far
a volcano on Earth can blow a rock.  In any case, the kind of rocks
typically ejected from volcanoes are well known.

Once it's agreed to be from "out there," the question is where.  If it had
been possible to bring back rock from the landers that have analyzed Mars, a
direct comparison would have been possible.  (of course, if that had been
possible, we'd have heard about it already...)    The moon is excludable,
since it has no atmosphere and apparently never had one.  (as well as the
fact that we have samples of the moon to compare.)  Venus is highly
unlikely, because it has such a thick atmosphere that material would
probably not escape were a meteor to hit.  Mercury is even more unlikely,
because it would probably take way too much energy to raise the
sun-gravitational potential of a fragment of Mercury to that of the earth.

Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are basically liquified gases, so there
would be no rocky material to eject.  Jupiter's moons are a different issue.

Anyway, I've got to get back to reviewing some episodes of "My Favorite
Martian", just in case...

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread