1996-08-08 - Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: ad7e82cd58056962f38743165709c6c8fbc41c020310ed26a5ebbf7b53366a9b
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960808055257.29528C-100000@eff.org>
Reply To: <ae2ed55000021004bcce@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-08 16:01:51 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:01:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:01:51 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Oregon License Plate Site in the News Tonight!

Looks like we're a little late. However, we can still grab the tape from
Oregon's DMV for $220. It would be an interesting excercise to try to get
these tapes from each state with similar provisions and put them all
online.

Anyone want to donate server space?

-Declan

http://www.spiritone.com/cgi-bin/plates

   Service has been temporarily suspended.
   Don't panic, I just want to think about the situation for a while.
   Stay tuned. --Aaron

---

   There is a very real chance that it will be turned off. That's becuase
   all of the people who hate it call the TV and Radio stations, the DMV,
   and their elected representitives. All of the people who love it send
   me email. As much as I appreciate hearing from all of you, sending me
   email doesn't let anyone else know how you feel. If you want to keep
   this service going, make your voices heard.

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Cypherpunks make the news again.
>
> I'm watching the LA NBC news channel, and they report that the Oregon "look
> up any license plate" Web site is causing a flap. Though apparently legal,
> the critics admit, the Governor wants the material removed.
>
> (Sounds like a good time to mirror it on some other sites, pronto!)
>
> --Tim May
>
> Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!
> We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, we know that that ain't allowed.
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Licensed Ontologist         | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread