1996-08-18 - Re: Orbiting Datahavens

Header Data

From: Brian Lane <blane@aa.net>
To: Derek Bell <dbell@maths.tcd.ie>
Message Hash: ce3cb8762aec38ba13dc37114619ca84c620fe5067c2ca4baa7dd80fb42c0abc
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.960702170220.402A-100000@opus.islet.com>
Reply To: <9608171851.aa04986@salmon.maths.tcd.ie>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-18 01:53:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:53:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Lane <blane@aa.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:53:34 +0800
To: Derek Bell <dbell@maths.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Orbiting Datahavens

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Derek Bell wrote:

> 	Wouldn't you have to use military-grade chips for the hardware? (Or
> whatever the type is - it had better survive launch, not to mention solar
> flares.)

  You'd have to make sure everything was soldered in pretty well, but it
could be done. As for solar flare, etc. protection it won't need anything
that any other satellite system would need.

> >  If the HAM radio community can get a satellite into space, why not the
> >Cypherpunks/Linux communities?
>
> 	Wow - I've been out of touch with space programmes in the last few
> years - which satellite was this? (The HAM radio one?)

  Embarrasingly enough, I cannot remember its name. I don't have a HAM
license (although I've studied for it -- just never took the test), but my
boss does. I think the satellite was launched in the mid to late 80's, and
it used for experimental communications.

> 	Anyone have any reccomendations for good web sites on
> satellites/rockets/space science in general?

  Good idea, I'll start a link on my webpage :>

> 	I'm not sure who would launch it - a Japanese launcher? (ESA is
> strapped for cash, which was one reason for the phenomenaly stupid move of
> putting space probes onto the maiden flight of the Ariane 5.)

  We'd want someone more reliable than ESA! I doubt that we could afford
to have a backup satellite in case of a disaster. Once the Delta Clipper
is functional the payload costs to orbit is supposed to drop tremendously.

   Brian

Thread