1996-08-14 - Re: India, Productivity, and Tropical Climes

Header Data

From: Enzo Michelangeli <enzo@ima.com>
To: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
Message Hash: dd1c15e363a97b1a8bef543af8de280490f137b634e1a5454e61e7c3249d0c89
Message ID: <Pine.WNT.3.95.960814145122.-981433H-100000@stanley.ima.net>
Reply To: <199608140439.VAA28846@dns2.noc.best.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-14 09:55:33 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:55:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Enzo Michelangeli <enzo@ima.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:55:33 +0800
To: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Subject: Re: India, Productivity, and Tropical Climes

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, James A. Donald wrote:

> At 11:31 PM 8/13/96 +0600, Arun Mehta wrote:
> > As regards IBM, its agreement with the government of India, under
> > which it was allowed to operate in the country, stipulated that
> > it would produce here, and transfer some technology. Instead, as
> > the government found, all it did was sell time on second-hand
> > computers (1401's as I recall, and this was mid  to late '70s).
> > IBM was asked to either dilute, or live up to its original
> > agreement, which it wasn't prepared to do, so it left.
>
> Every single foreign computer company left during roughly the same
> period, as did almost all foreign companies and anybody who had a choice.
>
> The reasons generally given by those who left, for this mass exodus,
> which eventually sent the government into insolvency, is that Indian
> officials were arrogant, rude, dishonest, corrupt, continually broke
> contracts and agreements, and attempted to exercise direct power over
> everyone and everything.

Not only: until at least five or six years ago, the trade unions had
forced limits to the yearly increase in number of computers per year in
the banking sector (if I remember well, 2% a year for private institutions
and 1% for government owned). The government duly obliged, of course.

Tropical climate or "corporate greed" has nothing to do with inefficiency
and poverty: just compare the cases of Hong Kong or Singapore.
Rather, corrupt and populistic governments are the key factor.

Enzo

Thread