1996-08-14 - Re: India, Productivity, and Tropical Climes

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Arun Mehta <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f7742f4888c1937f31e29be6fecdba3e8faaf29c2c19f7c5ecc52298d2e27fdc
Message ID: <199608140439.VAA28846@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:37:20 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:37:20 +0800
To: Arun Mehta <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: India, Productivity, and Tropical Climes

At 11:31 PM 8/13/96 +0600, Arun Mehta wrote:
> As regards IBM, its agreement with the government of India, under
> which it was allowed to operate in the country, stipulated that
> it would produce here, and transfer some technology. Instead, as
> the government found, all it did was sell time on second-hand
> computers (1401's as I recall, and this was mid  to late '70s).
> IBM was asked to either dilute, or live up to its original
> agreement, which it wasn't prepared to do, so it left.

Every single foreign computer company left during roughly the same
period, as did almost all foreign companies and anybody who had a choice.

The reasons generally given by those who left, for this mass exodus,
which eventually sent the government into insolvency, is that Indian
]officials were arrogant, rude, dishonest, corrupt, continually broke
contracts and agreements, and attempted to exercise direct power over
everyone and everything.

If indian government officials have a different version, I would not
regard that version as coming "from the horses mouth"

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread