1996-08-09 - Re: Why should we trust the system?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e696286b9a2b8699b7a0cb21e5104ea5c9005976082924b7fe14169dde9efd5c
Message ID: <199608091830.LAA08975@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 06:08:32 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 06:08:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why should we trust the system?

At 09:19 AM 8/9/96 -0600, Anonymous wrote:
>jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com> wrote:
>
>>When supporting plans like GAK ("key escrow") and wiretaps...
>
><snip>
>
>>If we allow this fiasco to die without a full analysis,
>>particularly in light of the government's repeated assurances
>>with regards to search warrants, we will be as incompetent as
>>the police were.
>
>Further, my original question, phoned in anonymously to the FBI,
>mailed in anonymously to this list, and asked to the media (I
>guess I like wasting my time) has never been either asked or
>answered. I will restate it in stronger terms:
>"Why the hell, when you have a tape of the perp. saying something,
>do you not air it in the middle of a city chock full of people
>who could very well know this guy's voice/mannerisms?" Why didn't
>the media ask for it, and then give the answer (the fibbieclerk
>had no answer at all for me) the FBI gave?? Am I missing something?
>We hear 911 tapes ALL THE TIME of various stuff happening. Has the
>FBI suddenly become a bunch of civil liberties activists WRT the
>privacy of terrorist bombers?
>Just asking.
>me

And, of course, by now a substantial fraction of the people who were in
Atlanta for the Olympics are now scattered to the winds, and their memories
have dimmed, etc.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread