1996-08-13 - Re: “X-Ray Gun” for imperceptible searches

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ea17831ddb577b1c19655116e41aa27ba85b7d843da2d5cba3ffda2fa4d14250
Message ID: <199608130312.UAA15244@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:53:53 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:53:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "X-Ray Gun" for imperceptible searches

At 05:43 PM 8/12/96 -0700, Mike Duvos wrote:
>Color me skeptical.
>
>"E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU> writes:
>
> > The gadget doesn't send out X-rays; instead, it picks up
> > electromagnetic waves emitted by human flesh.
>
>Would these electromagnetic waves be something distinct from the
>blackbody spectrum of a human-sized blob of "mostly water" at the
>appropriate temperature?
>
>Or to put it another way, is this just a sophisticated IR imager
>thickly coated in snake oil and marketing hype?

That depends on what you mean by "IR."  Near-IR is about 300 Terahertz; I've
seen some items in electronic magazines recently concerning systems that
emit and receive around 1 terahertz.  Apparently, they can read writing in
envelopes, etc.  It isn't clear whether this particular system is more like
a thermal IR system, or one of those newer ones.

Chances are good that when such a system is produced, it will be produced
WITHOUT any kind of recording system that must be installed.  The problem
is, this leaves it open to interpretation as to what a cop saw, and judges
and juries tend to be too deferential to cops who "are trying to protect
us."  All a cop has to do is to claim he saw a gun, or drugs, or practically
anthing else, and suddenly he has probable cause where he wouldn't have had
it before.  Yet more abuse with no obvious benefit.

All the more reason to adopt an AP-type system:  The so-called "justice
system" rarely punishes its own; if we are to have a realistic deterrent,
the only way to do it is to let outsiders deal with abuse.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread