1996-09-04 - Re: Letter to the Observer [re: Internet paedophile]

Header Data

From: James Fidell <james@corp.netcom.net.uk>
To: jf_avon@citenet.net
Message Hash: 07e1355567763392524bd78d1e5da6973005a89faa7b207521885e2ba3e0a4f4
Message ID: <199609041954.UAA04906@corp.netcom.net.uk>
Reply To: <9609041639.AA25461@cti02.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-04 23:28:39 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 07:28:39 +0800

Raw message

From: James Fidell <james@corp.netcom.net.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 07:28:39 +0800
To: jf_avon@citenet.net
Subject: Re: Letter to the Observer [re: Internet paedophile]

Jean-Francois Avon wrote:

> On  4 Sep 96 at 5:41, Martin Minow wrote:
>
> > Forwarded to me by a friend:
>
> > The following letters were delivered to the Editor of the Observer
> > last week as a request to publish a retraction of their article
> > relating to the Internet that appeared on Sunday 25th. August.
>
> One way to limit or retaliate against diffamation would be to refuse
> internet access to anybody known to be part of any such medias, being
> tv or paper.
>
> ISPs would probably easily agree since the revenues coming from
> journalists vs from the general population is probably minuscule. Of
> course, the conventionnal media would set up their own ISP but they
> could be identified.
>
> Does that makes sense or am I out to lunch?

I don't think it makes sense.  The media would be the first to
point the finger at the ISPs for censorship in such a case, one
imagines (whether it could be justified or not is a different matter
of course).

James.
--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Work: james@corp.netcom.net.uk
  it may not pass your way again"    | Play: james@hermione.demon.co.uk
                                     | http://www.netcom.net.uk/~james/
        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell

Thread