1996-09-04 - Re: The Esther Dyson Flap

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 11dd28fd578267ddfc688bd87069b0ba9824d4609b318afb1553253158ca65a4
Message ID: <R98oTD1w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199609031719.KAA03089@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-04 02:59:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:59:22 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:59:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Esther Dyson Flap

jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com> writes:

> At 08:11 PM 9/2/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
> >Esther Dyson says that anonymity on the Net can do more damage than
> >anonymity in other forums, and thus may need to be regulated and restricted
> >in various ways. I disagree, as "the Net of a Million Lies" (to use Vinge's
> >term) has grown up with anonymity, and few people take the anonymous (or
> >not) rants and charges made in the millions per day with the same degree of
> >certainty they take print comments. Put another way, there is no clear and
> >present danger.
>
> Indeed, I support the elimination of concepts such as "slander" and "libel"
> precisely because they cause more harm than good.  Currently, there is an
> illusion among ordinary citizens that "if that was untrue, you could sue him
> for libel!" despite the fact that this is rarely practical.  In that way,
> the law actually adds credibility to what should be an incredible claim.
> Eliminate libel suits, and you've eliminated any presumption that because
> it's been spoken or is in print, it's likely to be correct.

The gubment has no right to fuck with any speech - (seditius) libel, child
porn, bomb-making instructions...

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM