1996-09-07 - Re: Cellular phone tracing

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: “E. Allen Smith” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3649f739ec87acbca6d1d00e19359e35cb8504fa6055fb08d6094411c21365f9
Message ID: <199609070057.RAA25948@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:08:32 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:08:32 +0800
To: "E. Allen Smith" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cellular phone tracing

At 05:49 PM 9/6/96 EDT, E. Allen Smith wrote:
>	From comp.risks:
>
>Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
>From: glassman@sunsite.unc.edu
>Subject: FedEx monitoring of cellular phonecall locations
>
>[...] nowhere near either of those places, so I did not bother to mention my
>current location to the operator. The next day, Saturday, I called FedEx
>with the same cell phone from Blowing Rock to arrange the pickup. The
>operator immediately asked if I wanted them to come to the intersection that
>I had placed my call from the day before.
>
>Two days later, a FedEx operator confirmed that they are getting "new
>systems" at some locations that are able to record the locations from which
>cellular calls are placed.
>
>I have now asked Cellular One three times to explain to me why they do not
>tell subscribers that they pass this location information through the
>system, but to no avail. [...]
>
>========== end fwd.

You should DEFINITELY start worrying when the FexX operator says something
like, "I see you're the guy in the red shirt and brown pants."

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread