1996-09-27 - Re: Hallam-Baker demands more repudiations or he’ll write!

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 44295595aef13804ad7203496534dc69a96aa0f51b5339096988862003417560
Message ID: <v03007804ae70ea3223f2@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <ae6ca7190a021004d21c@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-27 04:48:53 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:48:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 12:48:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Hallam-Baker demands more repudiations or he'll write!

>Mr. May wrote:
>> At 2:10 AM 9/24/96, hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu wrote:
>> >like Markof are somewhat more responsible. This is not going to stop me
>> >from producing an op-ed piece linkiing the net libertarians to assasination
>> >politics unless I hear a few more repudiations of Bell's ideas. If you
>> >don't very clearly reject his murderous ideas you are going to regret it
>> >just as the left regreted having the USSR or the RAF associated with them.
>> I for one don't respond well to extortion threats, so write your damned
>>article.
>
>    I agree with Mr. May, and I will go so far as you call you a coward and
>a thoroughly lousy human being.

Now, now, let's not overreact. I named this thread, and yet I think even I
was going too far. That is, I was just making the point that Phill's call
for us to write denunciations or he would write an essay linking
libertarians and cypherpunks to AP smacked to me of a kind of extortion.

Any, I had several e-mail exchanges (in private) with Phill on this
subject, and I hardly think he's a "thoroughly lousy human being."

I disagree with many of his political beliefs, he no doubt disagrees with
many of mine (and even "ours," collectively), and in this particular case,
his "extortion" was a mistake.

I say we move on.

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.