1996-09-06 - Re: Voluntary Disclosure of True Names

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 4c7f2e20f0e5ba2cea0427611bcb97d44e8fad06ae8194d153340327f72714c7
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960905125658.19270L-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <ae53a8ec0c021004c604@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-06 11:47:02 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:47:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:47:02 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Voluntary Disclosure of True Names

> <Part of Tim May's post>
>
> >the above is almost exactly what Dyson was saying, and I have been
>
> No, Dyson said "Therefore I would favor allowing anonymity -- with some
> form of traceability only under terms considerably stronger than what are
> generally required for a wiretap."    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder what Dyson would consider acceptable?  Regardless, she is not
going to get it.

EBD

> This implies a role for government, and concomitant restrictions on related
> anonymity technologies, to provide traceability. So much for mutual
> agreement between sender and recipient.
>
> (I have nothing against senders and recipients agreeing to use the services
> of some third party in providing ultimate traceability. I'm not wild about
> the U.S. Government being this third party, paid for by tax money, but so
> long as it is not required, it's a minor concern to me. I surmise, though,
> that use of the U.S. Government as a third party would not be optional, in
> the schemes of Dyson, Denning, and others of that ilk.)
>
> --Tim May
>
> We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, I know that that ain't allowed.
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Thread