1996-09-12 - Re: (Fnord) Edupage, 10 September 1996

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 80b659ec6cd30738025c85c8aa8bc34f650a1ba588d009b94d34907f13f89827
Message ID: <199609120436.VAA06548@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:59:45 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:59:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: (Fnord) Edupage, 10 September 1996

>------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
>Edupage, 10 September 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.
>
>TOP STORIES
>        Wired World Will "Diminish National Sovereignty"
>[..]
>WIRED WORLD WILL "DIMINISH NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY"
>A leading Clinton Administration official on information security and
>cryptography matters says that traditional notions of sovereignty, national
>security and warfare will be undermined by the year 2020, when the whole
>world is "wired" and e-cash is the norm.

24 years from now?  He thinks it'll take that long?!?   24 years _ago_  the
4004 microprocessor barely existed.  And if anything, change is accelerating
very rapidly.

>The result will be less powerful
>governments in relation to criminal organizations such as the Mafia and
>international drug cartels,

Organizations which exist only because of the existence of government...

>says Michael Nelson, who adds that organized
>crime members are already some of the most sophisticated users of computer
>systems and strong encryption technology.  In addition, computer crackers
>will pose a more significant threat.  In response, Nelson advocates
>resolving the issue of whether unauthorized access of a computer is an "act
>of trespass" or an "act of war," and prosecuting the intrusions accordingly.
>(BNA Daily Report for Executives 6 Sep 96 A14)

I'd sure like to be able to corner this guy and point out that there are
people who believe that _regulating_ the Internet should either be
considered an "act of trespass" or an "act of war."  And does he want to be
punished, or merely stopped?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread