1996-09-21 - Re: Free RSA chip

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Lucky Green <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 89f6084fd6f85f56c9b95a02214d594f6f4e173f8e153a774454913bdeae8a3f
Message ID: <199609211655.JAA21400@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 03:00:31 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 03:00:31 +0800
To: Lucky Green <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Free RSA chip

At 01:04 PM 9/16/96 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>I secured a 30 page data sheet for the new NTT (actually NLC, a subsidiary
>of NTT) RSA accelerator chips. The NLC0048 LSI chip can handle keys up to
>1024 bits. The secret key can be stored on-chip. If you want a copy of the
>data sheet, email me your fax number.
>
>Furthermore, I have *one* sample chip that I am willing to loan to
>somebody in the SF Bay Area with sufficient hardware knowledge to put the
>chip to good use. If you think you qualify, let me know who you are and
>why you think that you should get the chip. I apologize in advance to the
>qualified candidates that do not get the chip. There is only one (that I
>can loan out).

I don't want the chip, but I'd like to know a few things.

1.  How much of a secure telephone does it contain?

a.  voice A/D/A?

b.  modem A/D/A DSP?

c.  Keyboard multiplex?

d.  control microprocessor?

e.  Encryption section?

2.  Is there any indication that NT+T has worked with any other
manufacturers to design some sort of inter-telephone negotiation standard,
one that would allow the kind of inter-compatibility that modems have today?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread