1996-09-25 - Possible snake oil?

Header Data

From: Phil Fraering <pgf@acadian.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb5b60b6e8c4bb7c0b78f92cfeea727b6de2ac0be87bb4a9888ccb357b1a0534
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.93.960925154728.17155A-100000@stiletto.acadian.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:51:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Phil Fraering <pgf@acadian.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:51:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Possible snake oil?

I ran across this at the web site of a New Orleans area web authoring
company. I checked with a friend of mine of long standing on this list,
and he assured me that the information was probably false.

(Here it is...)

<begin included excerpt from web page)

[deleted] has one of the fastest and most powerful web networks in the
world,
with servers effortlessly handling in excess of two million hits a day,
and
resources spanning four seperate backbone providers on two continents
from North America to Europe. Entire networks at [deleted] are exclusively
dedicated to web hosting, electronic commerce and other applications;
separate servers are available with a plethora of advanced services
including:

     SSL & SHTTP Encrypted Web Systems (using the maximum
     1024-bit encryption keys)
     BSDI Unix 2.1 (our main net OS, proven to be superior to all),
     Windows NT, Windows 95, Macintosh, DOS, Linux and other
     platforms available.
     RealAudio, VDOLive, CuSeeMe servers
     RAID5 mirror networks in Europe
     Access to [deleted] Advanced Systems Products (IASP) servers and
     scripts exclusively available to [deleted] clients, which include
shopping
     cart/automated ordering, web database systems, surveys &
     demographics, web page creation systems, ad & quote systems, and
     much more.

<end excerpt from corporate web page>

Well? Do _any_ of you know of a 1024-bit encryption standard for the world
wide web currently in use? According to these people, they're using it.

ObLegalQuestion:

Should I have been less coy about the corporation name?

Phil Fraering          The above is the opinion of neither my internet
pgf@acadian.net        service provider nor my employer.
318/261-9649

Thread