1996-10-21 - Re: Question: OTP

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: “Robert J. Shueey” <rshueey@tcgcs.com>
Message Hash: 0985d28231635f726c5d7933283612cf3742f96f7c1031cc752689d7de2b62de
Message ID: <845910399.8296.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Robert J. Shueey" <rshueey@tcgcs.com>
Subject: Re: Question: OTP

> This whole thing seems crazier each time I think about it.
> basically my question is: given that he picks his key securly does he have
> an OTP if the plaintext is shorter than the key?
> Bob

Yes, if he were just to modular add the key to the plaintext (or XOR
them) he would have an OTP if AND ONLY IF the key were real random,
however, he doesn`t do this, he uses the key to seed an array or
linear congruential generators, which have been cryptanalysed to hell
and back.

Basically, ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS dismiss anyone trying to sell an
OTP, they are totally impractical, he`s just using technobabble to
get around the fact that his system is actually a stream cipher and
is of no value because it has been broken within days of being
announced.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1