1996-10-16 - Re: Stego via TCP/IP (was Re: crypto wish list)

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: nelson@media.mit.edu (Nelson Minar)
Message Hash: 13d6a678fcec89372fddeecdbcb1a8783dfd7da0a0781ccda037854dbdbcd553
Message ID: <199610160244.VAA01593@homeport.org>
Reply To: <cpag23gjc4v.fsf@hattrick.media.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-16 01:38:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:38:36 -0700 (PDT)
To: nelson@media.mit.edu (Nelson Minar)
Subject: Re: Stego via TCP/IP (was Re: crypto wish list)

Nelson Minar wrote:
| What, a discussion of cryptography on the cypherpunks list?
|
| aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk (Adam Back) writes:
| >>Where is highly sophisticated stego?
| >What are our options?
| >- Stego in english text.
| >- Stego in audio and graphic file formats
| >- Stego in Internet Phone protocols.
| >- Stego in Internet video conference formats
|
| What about stego in IP itself? It's been awhile since I've looked, but
| aren't there some bits one could subvert in the TCP/IP headers themselves?

	A bunch of must be zeros.  Easy to see.  A machine with two
interfaces could send data by choosing the interface to send on.
Ping, DNS, and ICMP all have lots of space for data.

Adam

--
"Every year the Republicans campaign like Libertarians, and then go to
Wasthington and spend like Democrats."

Vote Harry Browne for President.  http://www.harrybrowne96.org

Thread