1996-10-04 - Re: Fighting Clipper III

Header Data

From: apteryx@super.zippo.com (Mark Heaney)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 40f4a44a889b45e88837638e2cce1474df76ca8d238f3465d3a6d4e25d258807
Message ID: <325b245d.288509144@super.zippo.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 11:50:27 +0800

Raw message

From: apteryx@super.zippo.com (Mark Heaney)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 11:50:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Fighting Clipper III

erm, a boycott means not _buying_ a product, as opposed to not _using_ a
product. In the case of PGP, I never intended to purchase it from RSA. As
for Netscape, there are other browsers out there (or so I heard).

Realistically, a boycott is likely to be ineffective. Writing letters to
companies and congresshmucks and working with non-US crypto companies to
create a standard that can be legally imported into the US (for now) would
be more effective, IMHO. Boycotts rely on large numbers of participants,
and not enough people understand or care about encryption. We'd be better
off trying to change that first.

Mark

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996 06:37:45 -0700 (PDT), Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
wrote:

>You'll have trouble doing a successful boycott of RSA. What, you won't
>use Netscape Navigator or PGP?
>
>-Declan
>

>On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Jim McCoy wrote:
>
>> Rich Burroughs <richieb@teleport.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> >[snip]
>> >
>> >The word "boycott" leaped into my mind.  I personally do not believe that I
>> >will be buying products from any of these companies, as long as thay
>> >participate in this GAK charade.
>>
>> Such an initiative will need publicity and letter-writing early in the
>> campaign will help us set the tone and points of debate on this issue.
>> A boycott works best when everyone knows why and there are a few key
>> phrases which can be used to get the message across.  Something like
>> "company X is helping build big brother, boycott their products" or a
>> few similar sound bites are needed fast.  The big brother inside stickers
>> from the last campaign were nice, maybe people can come up with variations
>> of various corporate logos or marketting phrases which help get the message
>> across?
>>
>> jim
>>

>// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Mark Heaney    finger snipe@starburst.cbl.cees.edu for public key
PGP Fingerprint= BB D8 9B 07 51 87 05 AC  47 7B F2 4F A6 AB 1A CD
   Vote against government        ***        Vote Libertarian

Thread