1996-10-22 - Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs’s

Header Data

From: h2@juno.com (Michael B Amoruso)
To: pneyz@armory.com
Message Hash: 87e34cf65d96b06be56f21706bfb07fc0a41c3d7dd5f51594e08da87193fa09b
Message ID: <19961022.120700.9990.1.h2@juno.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SCO.3.91.961021164621.18461G-100000@deepthought.armory.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-22 16:15:20 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: h2@juno.com (Michael B Amoruso)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: pneyz@armory.com
Subject: Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs's

Oh yeah I forgot one thing.  What do you mean by NPA and why cant i just
dial like a regualr call??  And what is a DMTF dialer?

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:50:42 -0700 (PDT) Perry Farrell <pneyz@armory.com>
writes:
>> Also, the network's signalling has changed, and the basic
>> Captain Crunch Whistle doesn't work many places any more -
>> most of the signalling is digital out-of-band rather than
>> inband audio.  Phreaking isn't impossible (or there wouldn't be
>> as many people chasing the Dread Pirate Mitnick), but at this point
>> you actually need to know what you're doing to succeed at it,
>> and merely having plans for a device you don't know well enough to
>> emulate in code on your PC isn't going to buy you much.
>
>Very good point, phreaking's getting tricky. First of all, forget blue
>
>boxes, they're worthless, especially to an amateur, which you (HeLiuM)
>
>obviouisly are. Get a red box. Go to Radio Shack and buy a digital
>recorder pocket memo thing. They're about ten bucks and it's alot
>easier
>than getting a handheld DTMF dialer (which is annoying to solder
>because
>RS doesn't make them very well). Get BlueBeep or something
>(ftp.fc.net/pub/defcon/BLUEBEEP) and record some quarter tones. Go to
>Bell payphone (CoCoTs and USWest phones do not work) and dial
>"1+area+npa+number", like a normal call. Then play the tones. For a
>local
>call, dial "10288+area+npa+number", which makes AT&T think it's along
>distance call.
>
>					pneyz (pneyz@armory.com)

Thread