1996-10-23 - Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs’s

Header Data

From: Perry Farrell <pneyz@armory.com>
To: Michael B Amoruso <h2@juno.com>
Message Hash: dd0ed514a9e638ae6cb9711cc324923c6ec593b5e2f67db82edaa321230a4f36
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.91.961022162422.27227B-100000@deepthought.armory.com>
Reply To: <19961022.120700.9990.1.h2@juno.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-23 02:22:00 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:22:00 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Perry Farrell <pneyz@armory.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
To: Michael B Amoruso <h2@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs's

> Oh yeah I forgot one thing.  What do you mean by NPA and why cant i just

Sorry. By NPA, I meant the prefix as in xxx-NPA-xxxx in a phone number.
It's like normal. You can't make local calls like normal because
payphones do not use the tone system ACTS (Automated Coin Toll System)
for local calls, they process it internally, the way privaately owned
payphones do (CoCoTs). You need to get AT&T intoÑ?Aý the call by using
their 10xxx extender. You dial 10288-area-npa-number and AT&T thinks it's
a normal long distance call and the payphone is out of it. When you put
the tones into it, it will react like a long distance call. Making local
calls this way will cost about $3.50 but it's not real money.

A DTMF dialer is a thing Radio Shack sells that looks vaguely like a
remote for a TV but it has all the telephone numbers on it, like if you
took the keypad out of your phone. When you hit a key, it produces a tone
that is recognized µ??øby the phone, that is a DTMF tone. DTMF stands for
Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency as it is a combination of two tones. By putting
a 6.5335 mhrtz crystal in place of the original one, the asterisk (*) key
will now produce the nickel tone (1700mhz+2200mhz) and if you got a
dialer with memory, you can program it to play a quarter, 1/2 sec pause,
quarter... etc. It is really easy but you need to be able to solder. Me
and a friend made two of these and almost broke both, RS doesn't make
them incredibly high quality. You might also want to get one soon because
RS is going to stop selling them (that's what I've heard at least).

				pneyz -/- Phone Losers of America (PLA) -\-

Thread